Dual screen or multi-monitor tearing with NVIDIA, AMD / ATi or Intel in Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal was introduced. Thankfully there is an easy workaround to have tear free video on all screens.
I tested this with NVIDIA and TV-Out and it works even better then in previous Ubuntu releases. I don’t have to choose anymore on which screen to sync in the NVIDIA X Server Settings.
Open CompizConfig-settings manager (if you don’t find it, just install it from Ubuntu Software Center) and look for the plugin Workarounds.
- Check -> Force full screen redrews (buffer swap) on repaint
- Uncheck -> Don’t wait for video sync
Open NVIDIA X Server Settings
- Enable X Server XVideo Settings -> Sync to VBlanck
- Enable OpenGL Settings -> Sync to VBlank
- Disable DFP…(name of your screen) -> Force Full Gpu Scaling (for me this is not necessary to do)
Open Startup Applications and add a new program:
- Name: antitearing
- Command: bash -c “sleep 2; compiz –replace”
Reboot and enjoy a tear free screen!