Sonarr automates copyright-free TV show downloads and management from Usenet and torrents, with a user-friendly interface.
It tracks episodes, renames files, organizes them, and provides updates.
- Sonarr, a leading Usenet and torrent manager, simplifies royalty-free digital content downloads.
- Designed with the user in mind, featuring robust fail-safe mechanisms.
- Gaining popularity rapidly as a top download management tool.
- Key driver for a smooth Usenet experience.
Here’s a table with Sonarr features:
|Free, with donations encouraged for development support.
|Supports multiple platforms including Windows, MacOS, Linux, FreeBSD, and Raspberry Pi.
|Supports SSL encryption; VPN recommended for torrent downloads.
|Community support through forums, IRC channel, Discord, and a Sonarr subreddit.
|Compatibility – Download Clients
|Fully integrable with newsreaders SabNZBD, NZBGet and torrent clients.
|Compatibility – Indexers
|Aggregates public domain data from sources such as TVDB, TVRage, and TMDB for metadata.
|Offers customizable profiles and settings for video file quality preferences; remote access available.
|Automatically renames downloaded, license-free, files according to customized naming schemes.
|Organizing into folders
|Sorts and stores non-copyrighted media content in designated folders based on series, season, and episode structure.
|New episodes notifications
|Provides alerts for new episodes of copyright-free tracked TV series, keeping the user updated on the latest releases.
Harness the power of Sonarr along with the versatility of NZB360 for a comprehensive pubic domain TV series downloading solution.
Easy of Use – Interface
The Sonarr interface is praised for its straightforward, no-nonsense design, presenting a simple and modern look that facilitates easy navigation. It consolidates numerous management functions into an organized dashboard, allowing users to manually search for unrestricted releases, monitor their download progress, and view upcoming open-source releases all in one place.
Furthermore, Sonarr’s crisp and clean aesthetic makes for a visually appealing user experience across different platforms, enhancing the overall usability of the software.
View videos via posters or detailed overviews with quality info. Sonarr offers updates and robust support, including a comprehensive wiki for all users. It is very similar to Radarr, same developers, as you can see in our Radarr review.
Here’s a list of the supported services by Sonarr:
- Services that support the Newznab API
- Services that support the Torznab API
Setting up Sonarr
Setting up Sonarr is a relatively straightforward process. Here’s a concise step-by-step guide to help you get started:
- Download and Install Sonarr:
- Visit the Sonarr website at https://sonarr.tv/#download and download the appropriate version for your operating system.
- Follow the installation instructions for your specific OS.
- Access Sonarr Web Interface:
- Once installed, open a web browser and go to
http://localhost:8989to access the Sonarr web interface.
- Once installed, open a web browser and go to
- Configure Sonarr:
- Upon first access, you will be prompted to set up Sonarr. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the initial configuration, including setting up your media library and download client.
- Add TV Shows:
- Click on “Series” in the top menu and then “Add Series” to start adding your favorite license-free TV shows to Sonarr.
- Integrate with Download Client:
- In Sonarr, go to Settings > Download Clients and add your preferred download client (e.g., uTorrent, qBittorrent, SABnzbd).
- Set Up Indexers:
- Navigate to Settings > Indexers to add your preferred indexers for non-proprietary TV shows (e.g., Jackett, NZBHydra).
- Link to Plex (Optional):
- If you use Plex, you can link Sonarr to Plex for automatic royalty-free media updates. This step may vary depending on your specific setup.
- Start Monitoring:
- Once everything is set up, Sonarr will start monitoring your indexers for new non-copyrighted episodes and automatically download them based on your preferences.
Here is a table with some of the most important configurations:
|Sonarr allows users to customize the profile quality of the video files they’re looking for in terms of resolution.
|In the profile settings, users can set a ‘cutoff’ which is the quality level at which Sonarr will stop searching for a higher quality version of a file.
|The calendar feature in Sonarr provides a convenient way of monitoring upcoming, free-to-use, video releases in one location.
|Sonarr automates the process of searching, downloading, and even handling failed downloads, with the ability to notify other applications.
To fully utilize Sonarr’s capabilities for Usenet downloads, a reliable Usenet provider such as UsenetServer, Newshosting, or Eweka is necessary to access the wealth of non-copyrighted TV content available.
Best Sonarr Indexers
The best NZB indexers for public domain TV shows, especially when using Sonarr, are NZBGeek, Drunken Slug, and NZBPlanet, known for their comprehensive libraries and reliable updates. These indexers are highly regarded in the Usenet community for their efficiency in indexing, offering users a wide range of content.
Sonarr streamlines the process of tracking and downloading your favorite royalty-free TV shows from Usenet by automating the entire process once properly configured. With its user-friendly interface and compatibility across multiple operating systems such as Windows, MacOS, and Linux, Sonarr provides a hassle-free setup for personal video recording (PVR) tasks.
The integration with major NZB downloaders and its ability to manage and organize unrestricted downloads enhances the overall user experience, making Sonarr an essential tool for Usenet enthusiasts looking to effortlessly maintain their video library.
Membership & Userbase
Sonarr does not offer a tiered membership structure, as it is a completely free application designed to manage and automate the download of open-source television shows. The developers of Sonarr encourage voluntary donations to support ongoing development and maintenance, but all features are available to all users without payment.
As Sonarr is a free service, there are no membership levels to list in a table. All users have access to the same full functionality of Sonarr without any cost.
Alternatives for Sonarr
The main alternatives to Sonarr for unrestricted TV show management are SickChill and Medusa, both of which offer similar functionality for automating non-copyrighted TV show downloads and organization. While Sonarr and SickChill both automate free-to-use TV show management, Sonarr stands out with its more user-friendly interface and comprehensive support for different platforms.
Support & Community
Sonarr provides several support options, ensuring users can find help through various channels such as a forum, Wiki, IRC channel, Discord, and a dedicated subreddit. For more detailed guidance and solutions to common problems, users can also refer to the extensive Sonarr wiki page, which serves as a comprehensive resource for both newcomers and experienced users alike.
Sonarr Review | Streamline Your TV Download Routine in 2024
- Open-Source and Free
- Cross-platform compatibility
- Community support forums, IRC, Discord
- Integrates with popular NZB and torrent downloaders
- Aggregates data from multiple metadata sources
- Customizable video file quality settings
- Automated file renaming and organizing
- Notifications for new, copyright-free, episodes
- No mobile app for remote management
- May require additional setup for cloud storage integration
- Lacks a built-in VPN service
Frequently Asked Questions
How Does Sonarr Avoid Duplicates with Multiple Episode Releases?
Navigating the sea of available downloads, Sonarr deftly avoids the clutter of duplicates by utilizing Quality Profiles and recognizing Release Groups, ensuring you freely receive the best version of your desired public domain episode.
Can Sonarr Work with Cloud Storage for Remote File Access?
Sonarr can indeed integrate with various cloud storage solutions, ensuring that your downloaded files are stored remotely with cloud compatibility and remote accessibility, providing the freedom to access your content from anywhere.
What Measures Does Sonarr Take to Ensure the Security and Privacy of Its Users?
Sonarr implements robust encryption protocols and user authentication to protect user privacy and security, ensuring safe and confidential handling of Usenet activities for users who value their freedom and data protection.
How Does Sonarr Perform vs. Sickbeard/Sickrage/CouchPotato?
Sonarr excels in feature comparison, offering a seamless user experience with lower resource usage, enhancing system performance compared to Sickbeard, Sickrage, and CouchPotato, granting users more freedom in managing their unrestricted media content.